On november 5th in Brussels we launched the study ”European populism and winning the immigration debate” in a Ralf Dahrendorf roundtable discussion in cooperation with the European Liberal Forum (ELF).
This ELF study explores the bases of anti-immigration arguments and ways to refute them. The authors will discuss support for populist, anti-immigration parties in the wake of the financial crisis.
- How do these parties behave and what strategies do they use to gain support?
- Why may voters be attracted to them?
- Are there effective ways for other parties to respond?
The event was co-funded by the European Parliament.
European Liberal Forum underlines the achievements of Lord Dahrendorf with a series of exceptional events connected to his name. Lord Dahrendorf was an ardent supporter of a stronger Europe, consistently promoting the role of the EU as a guarantor of human rights and liberty during his time as a member of the Bundestag, as European Commissioner, Peer of the British House of Lords and Chairman of the Board of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation.
- Cecilia Wikström, MEP, Alde
- Clara Sandelind, Editor, University of Sheffield
- Matthew Goodwin, Associate Professor of Politics, University of Nottingham
- Meindert Fennema, Emeritus Professor in Political Theory, University of Amsterdam
- Sjoerdje van Heerden, Doctor in Politics, University of Amsterdam
- Kenan Malik, Commentator, author of ”From Fatwa to Jihad”
- Andreas Bergström, ELF Board member, Fores Deputy Director
- Anna Rehnvall, Fores Migration Director
Wednesday November 5th
12:00 – 14:00
Asp 5 G1
Rue Wiertz 60